Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Little Bad Taste Is Like a Nice Dash of Paprika ~~ Dorothy Parker

Image from LaWendula on Flickr with a quote from Dorothy Parker


At 4 a.m. this morning, scrolling blearily down my facebook newsfeed and clutching my first cup of coffee, I noticed that Dorothy Parker was born today's date in 1893; she died in 1967.   That she was responsible for the phrase that helped to make my adolescence miserable and that probably contributed more to the sales of contact lenses than any high-powered marketing campaign, was what I could tell you about her.
Men never make passes at girls who wear glasses ~~ Dorothy Parker.  Image from anyjazz65 on Flickr.

......and that she was a writer.  Intrigued as I can only become at 4 a.m. while scrolling blearily down my....well, you know, right?  I went to this wiki article and quickly realized that she was a tremendously comlicated, tremendously talented woman who lived an amazing life.

Image from wiki commons
I was stunned as I read through the wiki article about her.  You should really just take a quick peek.  Google up some images of her - I'd love to show you more than just this one from wiki commons, but I'm worried about copyrights and such and better not.  Still, do it, you'll be glad you did.

Some of my personal favorite quotes from Dorothy, in addition to the three above......

I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things. 

If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

I've never been a millionaire but I just know I'd be darling at it.


Drop by and check on our progress as we play catch-up in our etsy shop - and take a peek at some of our new listings in our ebay store.  As always, we'd love to see you on facebook :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment