Sunday, July 6, 2014

Remembering Holly Hobbie

We've acquired several vintage Holly Hobbie items recently at local auctions and estate sales, in addition to the ones already in the shop, and it got me tripping down memory lane - well, a brief stroll, really, so I thought I'd take you with me...

The adorable little girl in the big blue bonnet and the patchwork rags dress who loves cats and friends, and who you probably know as the original Holly Hobbie, was actually known only as “blue girl” for the first few years of her life at the American Greetings Company. 

The character Holly Hobbie was born in the late 1960s, and only when she became popular in the early 1970s did she acquire her name – which was also the name of her creator, a woman named Denise Holly Ulinskas Hobbie, who went on to author the Toot & Puddle books in the 1980s and 1990s - pretty much the best pig books ever, or at the very least closely tied with Charlotte's Web and The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs! anyway.

Holly Hobbie was wildly popular with little girls in the 1970s and early 1980s, and there were many items marketed in the line that you can find now on etsy.  My favorite of the items we have right now is this set of handmade decoupaged plaques that were made in the 1970s  - imagine the love that went into making these!

This adorable little unmarked McCoy pitcher is a close second in my faves...

A series of cartoon movies based on the Holly Hobbie character’s great-granddaughter, also named Holly Hobbie, were released on NickJr beginning in 2006, but these were not written by the original author.  Again, many items were created and marketed based on this new character and her friends, which means that in another decade or so those items will undoubtedly start showing up in vintage shops too.

I wanted to leave you with a pertinent quote about time from Holly Hobbie herself, and I found it on that little pitcher up there - so here you go...

"The happiest times I ever had
Were when I made another glad"

Visit us on etsy at Gypsum Moon Vintage for vintage and antique items for your home, kitchen, office, and yard, at Gypsum Moon Rocks for rocks and crystals, sterling silver gemstone jewelry, lapidary, craft, and jewelry supplies, and at Gypsum Moon Style for vintage and upcycled clothing, jewelry. and accessories for women and men.


  1. this definitely made me glad! I had a Holly Hobbie shirt back in the 1970s and I loved it. Thanks for bringing back a fond memory!

  2. I had a t-shirt, too, Lin - and more than one poster. Wish I had them now!

  3. Owe ! Thank you for this post ! I loved ... I love ... and I will love Holly Hobbie !

    1. Thank you, my friend, I love her too!

  4. Never knew she had been nameless!